Uganda

 
 

About us

Stanbic Bank Uganda

Stanbic Bank is part of Africa's leading banking and financial services organisation, Standard Bank Group. 

Our heritage in Uganda goes back to 1906 when we operated as National Bank of India. Several name changes followed over the years, including that of Grindlays Bank. 

We finally became Stanbic Bank Uganda when Standard Bank Group bought the Grindlays network in Africa in October 1993. 

In February 2002 Standard Bank Group bought 90% of shares in Uganda Commercial Bank, a largely retail government-owned bank that operated a countrywide network of 67 branches. The remaining 10% shares were kept under Uganda government ownership. 

Government undertook a divestiture programme to remove state participation in various companies. This led to Stanbic Bank Uganda making an initial public offer of 20% of shares in the bank worth UGX1,023,773,394. 

The objectives of the offer and listing were to enable the Ugandan public to participate in the equity of Stanbic Bank and to encourage wider ownership of shares in general. It also provided individuals, institutional investors and other interested parties with an opportunity to participate in the equity of Stanbic Bank and to provide a market for the shareholders to realise their investment in Stanbic Bank. 

The response was phenomenal with 37,449 applications for 3-billion shares totalling UGX211-billion, hence a 200% oversubscription. 

While our head office is in Kampala, we operate 91 branches and a growing ATM network of over 175 all over Uganda. 

Stanbic Bank is the largest financial institution in Uganda licensed under the Financial Institutions Act, 2004 and is listed on the Uganda Securities Exchange Limited.

2012

  • Best IPO in Africa, “EMEA Finance” International Publication
  • Best Overall Bank for Cash Management in Africa, “Global Finance” International Publication
  • Primary Dealer of the Year in Uganda Government Securities, Bank of Uganda

2011

  • Employer of the Year, Uganda Investment Authority
  • Best Annual Report – East Africa, Financial Reporting (FiRe) Awards
  • Gold Award - Financial Reporting (FiRe) Awards
  • Corporate Governance Award, Financial Reporting (FiRe) Awards
  • Sustainability Reporting Award, Financial Reporting (FiRe) Awards
  • Best Emerging Market Bank in Uganda, "Global Finance" International Publication
  • Best Bank in Uganda, "EMEA Finance" International Publication
  • Bank of the Year in Uganda, "The Banker" magazine

2010

  • Employer of the Year - Uganda Investment Authority Award 
  • Best Annual Report – East Africa, Financial Reporting (FiRe) Awards
  • Bank of the Year in Uganda - Bankers Magazine
  • Best Bank in Uganda "Global Finance" International Publication
  • Deutsche Bank 2010 USD STP Excellence Award

2009

  • Deutsche Bank 2009 USD STP Excellence Award

2008

  • Best Emerging Market Bank in Uganda - Global Finance Magazine
  • Deutsche Bank 2008 USD STP Excellence Award
  • Best Bank in Uganda 2008 "Global Finance" International Publication

2007

  • Best Bank in Uganda 2007 Global Finance Magazine
  • East Africa's most respected company - Financial Services (3rd runner up)
  • Straight Through Processing (STP) Awards - Deutsche Bank Trust Company Americas

2006

  • East Africa's Most Respected Company - Financial Services (2nd runner-up) - PricewaterhouseCoopers - Nation Media Group
  • Presidential Transformers Appreciation Award for transforming banking in Uganda

2005

  • East Africa's Most Respected Company - Financial Services (2nd runner-up) - PricewaterhouseCoopers - Nation Media Group
  • URA Vantage Award - Best Bank in Tax Compliance
  • Bank of the Year - Best Customer Service - On Demand Magazine

2004

  • Best Bank in Uganda - EuroMoney Magazine
  • Bank of the year in Uganda - Banker Magazine

 

Customer care

Complaint/Compliment brochure

Raise your complaint or share your

compliment by calling us on

Tel: +256 41 4340788

E-mail: cccug@stanbic.com