Stanbic Bank Uganda (SBU) is one of the 25 licensed commercial banks by Bank of Uganda. The bank is a majority owned subsidiary of Stanbic Africa Holdings Limited, which is in turn owned by Standard Bank Group Limited. In February 2002, Standard Bank acquired 90 percent shareholding in the Uganda Commercial Bank, a government-owned retail banking operation, which had the largest branch distribution network in the country. The new owners merged their new acquisition with their existing SBU to form Uganda's largest commercial bank by assets and branch network. In January 2007, the government of Uganda divested its ownership in Stanbic Bank (Uganda) by listing its shares on the Uganda Securities Exchange. Standard Bank also floated 10 percent of its shareholding at the same time, reducing their ownership to 80 percent. The bank then became Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited.
Overview of Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited (30th June, 2017)
• 80% owned by Standard bank Group through Stanbic Africa Holdings.
• Listed on the U.S.E on 25th January 2007.
• Market Capitalization of UGX 1.382 Trillion (Approximately $384 Million).
• Number of Shareholders 22,535.
• Employs Over 1700 people.
• Has 69 branches and 9 Customer service points, 120 locations of ATMS and 173 number of ATMs.
• Headquarters in Plot 17 Hannington road, Kampala.
• Operates business through two main units: Personal & Business banking (PBB) and Corporate & Investment bank (CIB).
• Total asset of UGX 4.8 Trillion (Approximately $1.3Billion).
• Total Capital adequacy ratio of 22.1% against regulatory of 12%.
• PAT of UGX 95 Billion (Approximately $26Million).
• Earnings per Share of UGX 3.73(Annualised).
• Return on Equity of 27.7%.
Vision: "To be the leading African financial services organization in, for and across Africa, delivering exceptional client experiences and superior value."
"Transforming lives for a better Uganda"
- Serving our customers
- Growing our people
- Delivering to our shareholders
- Being proactive
- Working in teams
- Constantly raising the bar
- Respecting each other
- Upholding the highest levels of integrity
Strategic Road Map.
Our areas of focus in 2017
- Placing the customer at the Centre of everything we do
- Executing flawlessly
- And continue building employee capability.
How we implement our strategy
Our values come first: We have consistent operating principles that are not only fundamental to but determine the way we do business. These also help us to detect, deter and protect against financial crime.
Driving profitability: Our strategic priorities are designed to ensure we have a sustainable business for the long term. Profit underpins long-term business sustainability and growing our profit is an integral part of our strategy.
Our business and operating model: The conditions for creating value and generating profits are reflected in our business and operating model, which determines how our business units, our infrastructure and support functions interact.
Governance reinforces our values. Operating model: Implementing Global Standards affects how we govern the bank, the nature of our core business and the performance, recognition and behaviours of all our people in managing high quality customer relationships. It starts with embedding our Bank’s values in everything we do.
Key Performance Indicators
- Return on average equity.
- Earnings per share.
- Total capital C.A.R and Regulatory.
- Cost to Income.
- Credit Loss Ratio.
- Total Assets.
- Customer loans and Advances.