Stanbic Bank Uganda (SBU) is one of Uganda’s leading banks, licensed by Bank of Uganda. The bank is a majority owned subsidiary of Stanbic Africa Holdings Limited, which is in turn owned by Standard Bank Group Limited. In February 2002, Standard Bank acquired 90% shareholding in the Uganda Commercial Bank, a government-owned retail banking operation, which had the largest branch distribution network in the country. The new owners merged their new acquisition with their existing SBU to form Uganda's largest commercial bank by assets and branch network. In January 2007, the government of Uganda divested its ownership in Stanbic Bank (Uganda) by listing its shares on the Uganda Securities Exchange. Standard Bank also floated 10% of its shareholding at the same time, reducing their ownership to 80%. The bank then became Stanbic bank Uganda Limited.
Over view of Stanbic bank Uganda limited (30th June, 2016)
- 80% owned by Standard bank Group through Stanbic Africa holdings.
- Listed on the U.S.E on 25th January 2007.
- Market Capitalization of Ushs 1.331 Trillion (Approximately $395 Million, as at 30 June 2016)
- Number of Shareholders 22,720.
- Employs 1786 people.
- Has 91 physical distribution points i.e. 79 branches and 12 Customer service points.
- Headquarters in Plot 17 Hannington road, Kampala.
- Operates business through two main units: Personal &Business banking (PBB) and Corporate and Investment bank (CIB).
- Total asset of Usha 4.506 Trillion (Approximately $1.3 Billion, as at 30 June 2016).
- Total Capital adequacy ratio of 17.7% against regulatory of 12%.
- PAT of Ushs 107 Billion (Approximately $32 Million, as at 30 June 2016).
- Earnings per Share Ushs 4.22(Annualised).
- Return on Equity 34.4%.
Vision: "To be the leading African financial services organization in, for and across Africa, delivering exceptional client experiences and superior value."
"Transforming lives for a better Uganda"
- Serving our customers
- Growing our people
- Delivering to our shareholders
- Being proactive
- Working in teams
- Constantly raising the bar
- Respecting each other
- Upholding the highest levels of integrity
Strategic Road Map.
Our areas of focus in 2016
- Placing the customer at the Centre of everything we do
- Executing flawlessly
- And continue building employee capability.
How we implement our strategy
Our values come first: We have consistent operating principles that are not only fundamental to but determine the way we do business. These also help us to detect, deter and protect against financial crime.
Driving profitability: Our strategic priorities are designed to ensure we have a sustainable business for the long term. Profit underpins long-term business sustainability and growing our profit is an integral part of our strategy.
Our business and operating model: The conditions for creating value and generating profits are reflected in our business and operating model, which determines how our business units, our infrastructure and support functions interact.
Governance reinforces our values. Operating model: Implementing Global Standards affects how we govern the bank, the nature of our core business and the performance, recognition and behaviours of all our people in managing high quality customer relationships. It starts with embedding our Bank’s values in everything we do.
Key Performance Indicators
- Return on average equity.
- Earnings per share.
- Total capital C.A.R and Regulatory.
- Cost to Income.
- Credit Loss Ratio.
- Total Assets.
- Customer loans and Advances.